Sunday, February 22, 2009

Ont. teen bullied beyond belief

Article


TORONTO - Since classes began in the fall, 16-year-old Lindsay Hyde has complained to her Mississauga high school about being bullied by a pack of mean girls.
.
.
.
Unchecked, the bullies became more brazen: They started shoving her in the hallways and taunting her with threats: that they would hold her head under water in the bathroom or burn off her pretty blonde hair or "kick the living s--t" out of her.
.
.
.
"They threw me face first against the glass," Lindsay recalls in a small voice. "I kept calling out to the bus driver -- 'Help me, sir, help me please' -- but he didn't even stop. Nobody helped me. I go to school with all these kids on the bus and nobody helped me whatsoever."

As she fought her way to the door, crying and trembling, one of the girls ended the assault by punching Lindsay in the face.

"I got off the bus and I couldn't even walk I was crying so much," she recalls.
.
.
.
Now, too late, the authorities in her life are finally stepping in. The police were called and the girl who punched Lindsay has been expelled from school and banned from the premises. The others involved were suspended for a short time but are now back in class.
.
.
.
Carol Speers, the superintendent of education..."It's unfortunate that Lindsay perceives the school wasn't doing anything for her. They've been supporting her as best as they can."
.
.
.
Her hell continues. Lindsay says she's being tormented even more now for getting the bullies in trouble, and just this past Tuesday, a group of them had her cornered and backed up against a staircase railing. "I thought I was going to die," she says in a chilling monotone. "I was scared for my life."



This article is quite interesting, and the superintendent is obviously a liar. How do I know this ?

Because I went to school too, and I got bullied too. And they did nothing , absolutely nothing ,about it. And I wasn't alone, there were lots of us smaller or meeker kids that always got picked on. I see that 25 years later nothing has changed. If in 25 years I still see the same thing as I saw when i went ... then that superintendent needs to be fired just for being a damned liar if nothing else.

Bullying , Drug Dealing, weapons , it was all there when I was a kid. And as recently as three years ago my neice came home with a joint and got caught smoking it by her mother (who hit the roof) so I know that hasn't changed either.

Our public education system has failed. The children are not safe there. Not from each other , and not from predatory drug dealers. We need to shut those schools down and start moving on with home education via computers and chat programs. Time to stop pouring money down the hole and torturing our children.

I think the most damning statement in the whole article was the one where the victem was punished by her peers for doing well in class. How can you educate anyone when they get the sh__ beaten out of them for actually bothering to learn anything ? That's what sticks in my mind from my days in public school , and it's obvious it has not changed.

No comments: