Monday, September 29, 2008

Punishing Copyright Violators : IE: Record Industry Extortion

article = none , personal opinion

I have a wonderful idea.

I'm gonna sell vinyl records, and they're gonna have 24 songs each. And I'm gonna collect twelve dollars a pop for them. How about that ?

Ok, there's this thing called a tape cassette recorder that can record the sound and people can make illicit copies of those songs without paying for it.

Yeah , but the sound quality sucks. No worries, no one with money in their pocket is going to listen to their favorite tune filled with static, only young kids without a dime in their pocket do that.

years pass. Vinyl is replaced with CD's , and computers can now make digitally perfect copies.

I have a great idea. Lets make all these songs play only in certain approved devices and nothing else ? How about that ?

No. I have a better one. Lets Let them copy those songs like crazy, then start sueing them and extorting money like heck from them. That would be much more profitable.

You're kidding me !

In fact , now that we have these mp3 players and memory sticks and stuff ? Lets demand money for every single copy. So ...one for the cd itself , one for the one on the computer, one for the mp3 player, oh your wife has an mp3 player too ? Pay for her copy as well. So now we charge for 4 copies. And we only had to bother to manufacture one cd. I love this scheme !

Oh , and lets bribe some senators to alter the copy right laws so that you can't play your music in public or in doctors offices or anything or we fine the heck out of you.

And lets sell you copies on your cell phone as well, I love cell phones, because when the cell phone dies, we can declare the song non transferable. You have to buy another copy on your next cell phone.

So ... when did I have to keep pay and pay and pay to listen to my fave tunes ?

Oh , about last year.

Do the artists get any of this money ?

Not a single dime.

No comments: