Monday, September 22, 2008

Linux: the girlfriend test

Linux: the girlfriend test
Our writer subjects Linux to the most exacting useability test yet devised: his girlfriend


A fascinating article I'm sure.

I taught my wife how to use computers. eg: WinXP and then Linux. Well... she's a non computer person. I taught her how to use fire fox, thats all she ever uses.

She never noticed when I put the second computer in the living room , and put Linux on it. Fire fox was fire fox. Click and it opens ...enter the same addresses as usual.

Her and a friend were using it, and I said "You realize you're on Linux, not Windows, right ?"

And the response was "So ? It works ? Why should I care ?"

Some how ... I was expecting it to be a harder sell.

2 years on the living room computer. No anti-virus program. No weird tool bars, no slow downs, no crashes, no reformats. No weird pop ups trying to sell you junk have your credit card ready thank you muchly.

I don't let her near my windows machine anymore. Have to be careful of that thing. If you're not careful Bill Gates will get you and screw it all up. And then the pain begins.

No comments: