Saturday, November 18, 2006

I was robbed !

I bought NWN2 the other day (Never Winter Nights 2) .
It doesn't run on my system. Or either of my systems.
2 ghz clock speed min ? 3 recommended ? 128m video card, yuck !

Put it on the shelf. Perhaps in a year or two.

Then I began to think. The last never winter nights had exactly the same problem. It would barely run on the system I had at the time , but a year later I upgraded and it ran perfectly.

I began to wonder if they were doing that deliberately. Release a new game , even an online game , with high system requirements. The first players are the eager first adopters wtih high end computers and money to spend. Later on, a year or two later when all the cheap buggers like me get around to it , our upgraded or new systems can finally run the game , and we form the second wave of players for that game.

They're doing it on purpose ? I was robbed !

I hate that.

On the other hand , Matrix Online, and StarWars Galaxy's and EQ2 are just coming in reach for my computer, so I have a selection of , albeit older games , to play on now.

Still , the notion that I'll never play cutting edge games I'll always be waiting a year or two until I upgrade , is really annoying.

Oh yeah , EQ2 (ever quest 2) sucks... after level 10 you run out of quests and you're just wacking random monsters hoping to gain levels. There's some lip service to finding a group and doing group quests ... but you can never find one , or they're all idiots who think dying over and over and over is an ok thing ...

Havn't tried StarWars Galaxy's yet, Matrix online is ok. Let you now how that goes, though I suspect as a second generation player any verdict I render will be moot as the first generation players will have written all about it long ago.

No comments: