Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Guest Computer

Work had a sale on old computers. Pentium III , 256m ram , 10g hard drive. Only 40$ not a bad deal.

No keyboard monitor or mouse, but have an old computer at home that's junk , I can get them off of it.

Get it home (add 10$ for a taxi ) set it up. Won't boot.
Reformat into Ubuntu. Hangs on partitioning. I hate that.
Reformat into Win2000 , I have an old disk. Reformats, hangs at 14%.
Aha. The hard drive is toast. Figures. Work runs these things 24/7 for years, hard drive is usualy the first thing to go when you do that.

It's now got a wireless nic card I bought and a cd rom I looted from another computer (yeah , it didn't have a cd rom either) but no hard drive. I'm looking around.

I'll get this thing running sooner or later , I swear. And under Ubuntu ,not windows.
I swear I'm not putting a "guest" computer in my living room on windows, where every fool can download junk and get it infected at the drop of a hat. IT's gonna be Ubuntu all the way.

No comments: