Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Dell's Ubuntu's

Article

Why the Dell/Ubuntu Deal Won't Improve Linux's Market Share



Ha ha . Have I got news for you !


The base price for the E520n and E1505n notebook is $599 while the base price for the XPS 410n is $849. When you compare the prices to comparable systems running Windows Vista Home Premium, the difference in price is $50. But dig a little deeper and that $50 doesn’t seem like much at all, considering what you get


$50 + near immunity to malware + no pre-installed crap-ware + no norton anti-v shutting down your internet connection because you didn't buy it's 30 day free trial. A machine that just works, and doesn't catch malware, and saves you 50$. Anyone who's bought a computer in the last few years and been burned by that junk will probably love it.

How many times do I get a call from someone with no internet connection , to find they uninstalled norton and it locked down their connection , basically spitting on them for not buying their "free free free ! It's free ! How can you say no to free ! " 30 day trial version.

How long did I slave over my machine to remove mcaffery instead of pay them for their non-free tech support call to get rid of it from my machine ?

How often do I get calls from AOL users complaining about their AOL software , and all I do is walk them through uninstalling it and suddenly their computer works fine ?

How many times to I have to walk people through downloading and installing fire fox with a clumsy , barely operational bloated and spyware riddled internet explorer , and have them exclaim "wow..this is as fast as the internet was when I first got the service !" before they learn ?

How many times to I have to hear "My windows crashed" and then count the days that my Linux / Ubuntu box has been running with no crashes (16 as of this moment ..still playing the tunes ! Still running !, oh and I'm making this blog entry on it )

How many times do they ask me how do get rid of all those annoying icon's on their desk top , the free this and that that really isn't so free, and I think about my Ubuntu machine that when I first installed it had like zero such icon's on it. And now has only those icon's I chose to add.

How many times do I hear about "STOP ! Your machine has been infected ! Go to this web site to purchase a registry cleaner for safer operatioh, have your credit card ready !" and have to explain a)You're not infected, that's the Windows Messanger Service some spammer hijacked, it's actually part of windows , and b) don't buy that junk. it's actually mal-ware that *WILL* infect your computer , not to mention take your money and run.
And then recall that that can't happen on Ubuntu.

You save a heck of a lot more money than 50$ when you switch to linux. You just don't see it all in one pile , thats all.

No comments: