Thursday, May 03, 2007

Feisty Fawn : The Nightmare on the Clunker

My linux clunker defaults to 800 x 600 screen resolution , which is pretty tiny now adays. And I didn't see any options to bring it up to the usual 1024 x 768.

Aha ! Proprietory drivers for my Nvidia card ! That will fix it up.
Nope. Didn't work. Uninstall them.

Those two sentences took half an hour by the way.
And when I uninstalled the drivers, Linux crashed. Total reinstall time.

This went around and around in a circle for about four times, which covered a couple of days. Linux, or Ubuntu 7.04 / Feisty Fawn , would install but stubbornly refuse any other video mode no matter what I did.

Then it crashed hard and could't read the the hard drive.
Then it worked ! A reinstall and it came right up on 1024 x 768 mode with the basic linux built in drivers and no need of proprietory or restricted stuff.

I can only conclude that Ubuntu is cheating. I'm telling it to do a clean install and ignore what's on the hard drive , but it's not listening, thus all previous installs were "inheriting" the corruption from before. Only when it couldn't read the hard drive at all, did it do a proper clean install and fix all the problems.

Four days to learn that. Better write it down somewhere ...

No comments: