Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Users report 30GB Zunes seizing up

Article


Some users reported the problem happened at exactly midnight PST, at the very beginning of the last day of the year. That timing led some wags to call the problem Z2K after the Y2K problem that was widely feared to cripple the computing industry when computer clocks moved from 1999 to 2000.
.
.
.
I just want to get up and go listen to my music. Listening to music is about the last thing I do with my Zune. I always have to reinstall, download new firmware, or wait for the slow software to catch up. Now this? I want to throw it away and never look back."


The wonderful Microsoft Zune , going to rule the world of MP3 Players.

I have a zen stone. It was under 50$ brand new, it doesn't do updates from the web, it doesn't have Digital Rights Management that shut you down if you don't pay your subscription fee, it doesn't get new software from the web to do the same old job as always.

This is my main gripe with "automatic updates". If it works , why are you updating anything ? It's just control, thats all. Some big corperation has reserved the right to shut you down if they think they can make a buck over it. And if they mess up , that shuts you down too.

Give me a generic mp3 player anytime , and forget this "automatic update" stuff. I neither need it nor want it. Not for my mp3 player, not for my windows box, and not even for my Linux box. I always turn that stuff off.

No comments: