Wednesday, February 14, 2007

My Home Network

I no longer have a home computer.

Now I have a home network. Two computers with a kvm switch (keyboard video mouse, to switch your keyboard, monitor, and mouse back and forth between the two at the touch of a button. ) One is a winXP machine with a gig of ram and 80 gig hd and 2.5ghz speed, one is running Ubuntu Linux with half a gig of ram , 40gig hd , and 1gig hz on the clock. Both are connected to my wireless router (through wires)

So I can switch back and forth between the two at the touch of a button. Winxp runs my world of warcraft, and ubuntu I do my writing and blogging on.

I have ambitions of getting an old laplink cable to get my old win3.1 laptop into the loop , and picking up a wireless lap top and connecting wirelessly to the network as well.

Why ?

Because I'm a computer techie. Because it's my job. Because if I'm looking for work and I can say I run a home network with three wildly different operating systems (or maybe four) and several different ways of connecting to each other and I got it all working ... I'm more or less guarenteed to be hired on the first interview.

As for what work the network usefully performs ... none really.

such is the life of a techie. Get your really cool high end computer running ... and then all you do is play games on it all day. Ah well....

No comments: