Tuesday, May 03, 2005

The Hundred Million Dollar Man

Ottawa Boy
Ok. Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin is on the Hot Seat, is government teetering because of the hundred million dollars that went missing when he was finance minister (thus my favorite title for him) and his only comment is (on national tv) to apologize for not being more vigilent.

And of course, I"ve been dodging the whole issue.

Lets face it. It doesn't interest me. I got disgusted with him when he got elected despite the scandel. Now I'm merely disappointed that he was in power for so long, that he managed to damage control it so much that he lasted this far.

Would you hire a man to run your corperation who had a hundrel mil vanish while he was on watch ? Oh , and he has his own private company as well and it's suddenly doing very well right now ...

At most I hope he teams up with the NDP and throws a bone or two my way before his government falls, but even that is just wishful thinking.

What really burns me is the blatent "anti people" attitude most newspapers have. It's ok to throw the big companies (such as newspapers and their advertisors) a few bones, heck a lot of bones, it's expected even. But it's not ok to do that to the comman man.

When was the last time I got a cut on my taxes , after all ? When was the last time I got told "we guarentee your pension ?" instead of "You know, that pension fund the government set up and is taking money from you every paycheck ? It's gonna be bankrupt by the time you need to collect so you wont get a dime ..and no , we're still gonna take it off your paycheck anyways ..."

All I get is NDP jokes comparing them to a zoo , and how somehow giving money to us smucks is an evil thing. I may not know much about their policies and beliefs, but they honestly try. The others do not. And what could be bad about simple honesty and taking care of the workers ?

No comments: