Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Linux / WinVista Paradox

WinXP is behind us. Each copy locks to one computer.

WinVista lies ahead of us. It also locks each copy to one computer.

Windows 3.1 is a long ago dream. It ran my programs. My spread sheets, my word processors. Why did I have to upgrade in the first place ? Oh yes, it wouldn't run on the new hard ware. And why did I have to upgrade to the new hardware ? Becaus they don't sell the old stuff anymore and my computer broke.

did this new hardware give you anything you didn't have before ?

Maybe a faster modem , then later high speed, if you count the jump from no network card to network card standard. Maybe prettier games if you're a gamer. But really , no. My old win31 laptop runs a spreadsheet and word processor that does everything the modern stuff does, and it's 20+ years old.

You have four computers in your house. They want $200 a smack to upgrade to Vista.

Not happening.

They'll break eventually. You'll have to buy vista. It will be bundled. Just look at the dell site, your choice of operating systems is vista and vista alone.

I'll build a custom machine.

Need a copy of windows. A full version since you're not upgrading. Thats $400 smackers. And you can't borrow someone elses because they're all tied to one machine per copy. Just like XP.

I'll go Linux.

Linux won't run your games.

One purchased machine , cheap as I can get. The rest go Linux.

Sounds like a plan.

this is stupid. I don't NEED a new operating system. The old one works fine. I swear Bill Gates sabatages the old ones with those nightly updates as soon as a new one comes out , trying to get you to upgrade.

He probably does. I'm sure he found some way to do that legally without getting sue'd.

No comments: