Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Business Case for WinVista

I am a computer tech.

It looks good on my resume if I can say I built my home computer system from scratch and it works great.

WinVista off the Shelf : $200US
- this is the NEW copy , not an upgrade that eats up your winxp
- upgrades cost 99$ and require you to already have xp, which makes it
useless since you're putting it on a new machine not your old clunker

WinVista for Dell and friends : $50
- yeah , they get a massive discount
- and this is for a NEW machine ,not upgrading an old.

Linux Ubuntu (or other Linux) : Free


But it goes on.
If you buy a computer from Dell , it comes with all sorts of preinstalled software, like Symantec or Macafee. If you want to get rid of these anti-virus programs, you have to phone those companies and PAY to find out how to remove them. Pay , hard cash , to get rid of something you didn't want in the first place. (You don't want it because every Internet Provider now adays gives away a free copy of an anti-virus, so why would you pay for something you're getting for no charge ? )

Oh , failure to remove norton or Mcafee means it locks down your system and prevents you from surfing at the end of the trial period. In short, out and out extortion. I'm sure they've done something , bribed someone , so it's legal in the us for them to do this , but I'm gonna call a spade a spade. It's extortion.

You also have to uninstall a wack of "free 90 day trial software have your credit card ready when it expires" which is annoying.

Linux runs great on your old clunker. (I priced a replacement of my old clunker , which is currently running Ubuntu 61 , at 239$ Cnd)

What do I use my machine for ? As a computer tech I build it , and get it going ... then I just play games.

Hmmm.... 1500$ for a dell computer that just plays games.
239$ for an old clunker , +200$ for a game box of some kind, and I get to say I built my own computer and still play lots of games.

Not looking good for WinVista. Not looking good at all.

No comments: