Thursday, March 01, 2007

Ahhhh !! Ubuntu reboot !

I crashed my ubuntu system !

I was reading this article on the df command (basically tells you how much disk space you have left, since I just uploaed 2 gigs of music i was understandibly curious) and it said cntr-shift-f1 or go to the terminal ...

cool... a short cut to the terminal , my fave application.

wrong.

Control-Shift-F1 ends gnome, the desk top , the thing with all the menus and cute icons and stuff that makes controling linux easy ? You wind up in with a black screen asking you for a user id and pass, and when you log in , it's still black , like a terminal you can't turn off.

Reboot !

Ah well.

13 days between reboots. And it was my messing around that required the reboot, not ubuntu.

And we start over.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Ottowa Boy,

The key-press combo I think you meant is Ctrl-Alt-F1, which takes you to a full screen terminal (a.k.a. tty). To get back to your gnome desktop press Ctrl-Alt-F7. Et voila!

There are in fact six of these ttys corresponding to F1 to F6.