Monday, April 03, 2006

The McAfee Adventure Continues

The McAfee update agent keeps popping up with a "critical update" . hah ! To a program I'm trying hard to get rid of !
A check on various online forums indicates that getting rid of McAfee is a nightmare, there are three hundred registry entries you have to get rid of , and you have to do it by hand there is no automated tool. (nice to know I'm not the only one having issues).

Hah ! But I got around it. (I think... it looks good so far).
msconfig / Start up , remove the checks from the stuff in the mcafee folders. Reboot... odd, check marks come right back. Do as it suggest press general and do a normal start up , and ALL the check marks for every mcaffee and other program I wanted to ditch comes back !
But I got it's number now. Msconfig is my guide. It actually gives the exact location of the files it's running on start up.
Write them down , go to the mcafee folders , and DELETE those files !
Ah... blessed silence. At least so far.
We'll see how this latest action on the Mcafee battle front goes.... let you know in a few days.

No comments: