Friday, March 24, 2006

New Computer and McAffery

I got a new computer ! A Dell Dimension 1100 !

Unpacked it and set it up.

Hmmm... 90 trial copy of McAffee , well , I get a free virus scanner from my provider, I'll just uninstall it.

Can't uninstall it, the virus scanner is running. How do I turn off the virus scanner ? Doesn't say.
How do I turn off this dang spam killer ? Doesn't say.

Got to mcaffee website.... look up uninstall, get directed to an FAQ (frequently asked question) list to the catagory install/uninstall. Which , after a link or two, is magically transformed into install / reinstall, the uninstal part seems to have comlpetely vanished.

Apparently uninstalling the software and using someone elses isn't a possibility in their perfect little world.

I eventually ran msconfig and took the checkmark off any program in the mcaffery folder. Still got the spam filter...I'm working on that. I think that spam killer is in a different directory.

Oh ..it came with a free copy of word perfect ! Start it up ... welcome to your free 90 day trial copy of world perfect ... shut it down. (You have to pay after the 90 days , the main reason I wanna ditch macafee in favor of the free anti virus that comes with my provider)

And of course don't forget your free trial copy of aol have your credit card ready !

*sigh* Why is my brand new computer doing nothing but trying to sell me tons of junk ? If the whole world wasn't going xp I wouldn't have bothered.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's how Dell manages to sell you a $249 PC compete with OS!

It is subsidized with advertising!