Monday, February 06, 2012

Transplant jaw made by 3D printer claimed as first

Article

This artical details how they made a titanium jaw custom for a particular patient with a three dimensional printer.

Which is interesting, because once you start finding real uses for a technology , like 3D printing , it tends to snowball until it falls below the 1000$ mark and half the population has one in their home.

Which raises copy right debates.

Which is what I'm worried about.

I really have no intention of making a 3D copy of the Mona Lisa and hanging it on my wall. But if I get a 3d printer that can , say , make cheap clothing ,and I design my own cloths just for me to wear , I don't want the copy right police breathing down my neck.

I mean lets face it. When I buy a baseball cap , I really don't want it to have some company logo on it in the first place. I'd prefer a blank one. Guess what ? There are no blank ones. Anywhere. I've checked. If I can print off a blank baseball cap , I don't want copyright problems.

Ditto shoes, and oh that dining room table broke I need a replacement , and so on and so forth.

I can see making a big sticker of the flintstones and slapping it on the side of my computer might be a copyright violation ,and I have no problem with that, but I can also see that certain US companies are there to sink the competition, and if they can sink 3d printers entirely and force you to buy their junk , they will.

I'm saying we need to be careful here. And we definately need to watch out for copyrighters who want to copyright everything.

Or they'll make it illegal to use such things in the first place. And thats not in our benifit. Only theirs.

1 comment:

3d printing services said...

Magnificent goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you are just too excellent. I really like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it wise. I cant wait to read much more from you.