Monday, February 27, 2012

The Evil of High Speed

Now what could possibly be evil about high speed internet ,

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/02/27/stephen-harper-dismisses-oppositions-sweeping-allegations-of-tory-wrongdoing-in-robocall-scandal/

, I foolishly ask , as I hit a web page with four static large static pictures vaguly related to the news article it's hawking , and one high quality video advertisement that starts playing before the rest of the page is even loading. The actual news article consisted of some text and two medium quality pictures.

Yep. Full video. On most every page these days. And not for the article you're reading , but for an advertisment to sell you stuff.

Why ? because on average people have pretty high internet , so lets use up all that speed by spamming them with advertising . Why not. And those that don't have speed, well , the advertisers are pretty happy to kick you off the internet and demand you get a connection that can handle all their advertising. You're absolutely no use to them at all if you can't see their ads.

Just who's internet is this anyways , I foolishly ask.

Mine ! Say all the advertisers. Get a real connection or get lost !

So , there's a new connection coming out in the united states, really high speed compared to the current connections. You think that will do ?

For a little while. Until we make bigger and bigger advertisements.

Are you feeling robbed yet ? I am.

I need a browser add on that refuses to play video's until I say so. Thats what I need.

EDIT I'm on firebox. got an addon called Flashblock , that blocks all flash animations (such as those ads that play whole movies ) until you click on them, thus you can see the ads anyways if you really want (or the youtube videos , without them annoyingly starting on their own ) Suddenly I browse the internet so much faster.

Just how much flash is on these pages ? My browser was slow as a cow before this ???

No comments: