Thursday, February 23, 2012

Fraudulent election calls traced to Edmonton firm with Tory links

Transcript of a bogus call sent to a voter in Guelph on federal election day, May 2, 2011.

“This is an automated message from Elections Canada. Due to a projected increase in voter turnout, your poll location has been changed. Your new voting location is at the Old Quebec Street Mall, at 55 Wyndham Street North. Once again, your new poll location is at the Old Quebec Street Mall, at 55 Wyndham Street North. If you have any questions, please call our hotline at 1-800-443-4456. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

This wins my thumbs up for creativity. They got themselves a copy of Liberal supporters and then directed them to the wrong address so they couldn't vote. Social Engineering goes main stream , to be sure. What a great way to leverage the spammer ability to phone 100 000 people in a day.

The problem is it didn't work , the Conservatives still lost in that riding. Why ?

Who the heck even picks up the phone with an unknown caller these days ? Every spammer in the world is trying to call you all day and all night. Do you know how many times my wife's phone rings during a single day and it's that triple ring that tells me it's long distance (we don't know anyone out of the city so we automatically know a triple ring is a spam call)

Who the heck even has voice mail these days ? I turned it off on my phone because the spammer machines were happy to leave long , long messages (long enough to be cut off by the time limit) on my phone that I had to listen to before I could delete them , and my friends never bothered they knew I'd see their number on call display. Bye bye voice mail.

I don't even answer my cell phone anymore if it's an unknown caller, the spammers have been hitting that too. I aint paying 25 cents a minute to listen to an automated recording try and sell me something.

Welcome to the age of the white list. If you're not in my contacts list , I ain't picking up.

No comments: