Friday, August 19, 2005

Softwood Lumber $ting

Story


Washington says its dispute with Ottawa over imports of Canadian softwood can only be settled by negotiation.

U.S. Ambassador David Wilkins said that, despite a North American Free Trade Agreement ruling this month that U.S. duties of 21 percent on imported Canadian softwood were illegal, his government would keep imposing the duties, worth about $100 million per month, the CBC reported Thursday.


Lemme see.

You negotiated to create NAFTA for a solid year , to solve this particular dispute (pardon me , I'm a canadian , I've been hearing about about the softwood lumber thing since I was a little kid and I'm over 40 now, so this has been going on for several decades)

You finally set up a council to solve it, it issues a decision...

I don't like the decision .. I'm not abiding by it.

*sigh*

Kiss Nafta goodbye. You just killed it.

You also killed any reputation America might have had of keeping it's promises. Why would anyone bother to negotiate with you over anything when in the end , if you don't like it , you just tear it all up and throw it away ?

Americans !

No comments: