Friday, November 26, 2004

Not So Wowed

World of Warcraft came out Nov 23rd this month. I got up early , treked to the computer store.
"Do you have a pre-order ?"
oh oh.
Trek to the next store.
"Sold out. "
Hmmm... I"ve seen this before. When Hordes of the Underdark came out it was actually four or five days before this silly little backwater of Ottawa actually got any copies. The pre-order stuff is nonsense of course, just to hint that you should have pre-ordered, but of course if you did you'd be told "not in stock" anywyas.

Sigh.

Two days later, phone in.
"Maybe next week. "
Check the web site.
massive complaints about the servers down, long line ups to play a game , things like that. Some even started a "what to do while you're waiting in queue to play wow" thread. It was amazingly long, going on for at least 50 pages. :) I'm sure Blizzard entertainment was impressed with that showing up on their own forums promoting the game.

Official statement comes out.
The game requires you to log on to their serves to play , and the servers are overloaded. They're putting more servers up , but until they do so , they are not going to distribute more copies of the game. They hope that in the coming weeks ... blah blah blah ...

The phrase "coming weeks" is about where I stopped reading.

I'm not hanging on with baited breath for a couple of weeks for one stupid game. I'll find somethign else to do with my time and come back later when I'm not busy.

No comments: