Saturday, October 27, 2012

Valve's Linux video games plan described as 'unethical'

Article

To sumerize : Everything on Linux should be free ,and you should provide source code as well for it all , selling commercial products on Linux is an evil thing , yadda yadda yadda... . .

I have no problem buying useful commerical products and paying for them.

My problem comes from "the upgrade treadmill" that microsoft wants everyone on. Just how useful is the latest microsoft office compared to the one issued 20 years ago ?

You know ,they had perfectly usable spread sheets even in the 90's , and 80's, and the fancy new ones really don't add much. So why are people trying to charge me a couple of hundred dollars for something someone else wrote twenty or thirty years ago ?

And why am I forced, kicking and screaming , against my will , to upgrade to a new operating system when the old one is doing it's job just fine ? Why am I forced to buy a new computer with all new software , and it doesn't do anything any better than the old stuff ever did ?

That is what I have a serious gripe over.

I am happy to kick out 50$ for a new game.

I'm not too happy to have to kick out 2000$ every 3 years for a new computer and software that doesn't do anything the old one didn't do just as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Someone has to pay for all the research that goes into the new products. Lets face it if you are in the market you want the latest and greatest and all the time and money spent must be recouped somehow, 20 computers doesn't cut it but thousands do