Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Library internet

So here I sit in the Library , literally a one hour walk from home. And it's a hot spot.

Yep. Brought my lap top along and everything, and all you do is provide your library card number and your pin number for it and off you go.

No place to plug the thing in though , so I guess I have a two hour limit. And after a one hour walk to get here, I'm in no hurry to head off home right away. Think I'll stay a while and look around.

The cheap 15$ internet plan I was on was only good for one gigabyte. I watched an episode of a TV show on the internet , using that up. Thought they'd just slow me down , like they do for other plans but nope. The 15$ plan they cut you off until you give them more money. Well...end of the month.

McDonalds has a hot spot too, no password or anything required. I can just see me sneaking around back late at night , illicit lap top in my back pack , pulling it out at the back of the building when no one is looking and getting a little free surfing done , checking my email , before I skulk off into the darkness like some criminal. Hilarious.

Action Housing got wireless toaster a house within four years , which sound really terrible. But the last three months he was living in a mens shelter, so i think the mens shelter thing sped that up a lot. I'm going to apply in a day or two , maybe my application for disability will speed things up as well. Maybe even just being on Ontario Works will speed things up and I'll get something even if disability turns me down.

Wireless toaster lives in such a building and it's full of people on disability. He says it's really easy to get on , some people just get on because they drink too much. Not sure if I should believe him though.

Right now he's on a high because he's been writing a lot of stuff in his blog about how evil the chinese are and how they're spying on us and stuff, and the FBI down in the states just confirmed it all. Said Huawei , a company that is based out of china , has been caught spying and putting in back doors in communications equipment they've been selling , and trying to bid on contracts to build secure networks for the united states when those secure networks are supposed to be fighting off the chinese ... ha ha ha thats pretty funny.

Wireless Toaster is a wierd one all right. Most of his rants sound pretty paranoid, and then stuff like this happens and it looks like he was right on the money. Odd how things work out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought Tim Horton's was coming out with internet in their coffee shops and what about starbucks

Anonymous said...

Also you can get free wifi access in most shopping malls courtesy of the big department stores. Just stake out a bench in front of the store and surf's up! Works in the USA, anyhow.

Ottawa Dude said...

Tim Hortons and McDogfoods do have "free" wifi spots. Free if you buy something , that is.

Gotta try the shopping mall thing , but I'm up in Ottawa , Canada (thus the name Ottawa boy)

Ottawa Dude said...

The glocester shopping mall has like 20 access points ... all of which are locked and presumably for private use only.