Sunday, April 04, 2010

Goodbye Rogers. Hello Primus

Article = None , personal Experience

I started out ten years ago working in rogers tech support. Internet was about 30$ / month and it was unlimited bandwith, about 1 megabyte download speed , all that I needed.

They advertise that you really need 5 or 10 meg download for games.

Unless your a game manufacturer , in which case you normally advertise that a 56k modem will work for normal play. :)

Interesting contrast there.

Then this whole kerfluffle about people downloading entire DVD's and overloading the network came along.

Then they lowered my limit to 60 gigabytes a month. No biggy , I was only using 5 gig at the time.

Then they lowered my limit to 30 gig's a month. But I never incurred any overage how bad could it be ?

Then they lowered my limit to 25 gigs a month. And they intercepted my google page (read that "hacked into my data stream to show results google would not approve of and probably had no idea of" to pop up a really nasty message saying I had reached 75% of my monthly quota.

Phone rogers. My monthly quota was no 25 gigabytes a month. And I had used 20 gigs in about 14 days.

Every application on my computer , it seemed was using more and more bandwidth , but rogers was giving you less and less. And now the two had met in the center.

"You're on a grandfathered plan. You have to upgrade to a new one. " And sign a three year contract. If you fart , rogers considers you to have signed a three year contract. See my blog entry about the bell non contract contract where they can change anything they like and you cna't do nothing about it , rogers has the same thing , needless to say I'm not signing a three year contract with these idiots.

My wifes old phone provider , Primus has internet , and she reports they're a real business ,they won't just take your money and run as she suspects some company I never heard of before might do. (looked them up on the internet ..I won't mention their name since I know nothing about them they might even be perfectly legitimate).

35$ a month. No contract. 30 days notice to cancel. Unlimited bandwidth. About 5 megabit download speed (I was using 1.5 megabyte from rogers).

Heck , even if they lower the bandwidth to 200 gigs eventually , I'm only using 40 gig a month right now.

Signed up immediately. They didn't even want my credit card number they'll bill me later. They're fed ex-ing the modem. 4-7 days.

When I get it working , I'm cancelling rogers.

Rogers wants 35$ / month for 25 gig bandwidth and they tack on a 10$ penalty because I don't actually have a TV with them. And they want a three year contract you sign every time you fart.

I am so out of there.

No comments: