Sunday, March 30, 2008

There's No Fish Left !

New Bell Canada scandal looms


New Bell Canada scandal looms

p2pnet news | P2P:- Canada’s largest ISP, Bell Canada, is powering ahead with its traffic shaping ‘traffic management’ plan.


I remember long ago on TV, newfoundland residents were protesting restrictions on fishing, and one old coot went up to the member of parliment and demanded he be allowed to fish any time he liked, his family had been there for generations etc etc. The MP responded "There's No Fish Left ! I can't put the fish back ! What do you want me to do ? There's no fish !" Which got him attacked by the old coot who was uncerimoniously dragged off by security.

30 gigabytes , or more, a month, is a *HUGE* amount of data. You can play online games and watch youtube.com and leave it playing all day and all night and you still won't touch 30 gigs. (30 gigs is the current cap bell is imposing in this news article by the way).

The only people affected by this limit are the people moving DVD's over the internet. A dvd is like 6 gigs of space, you can therefore do 5 of them in a month. If you're illicitly trading DVD's , this is a major restriction on your activities, and I can see how you'd be upset. But I cannot sympathize with you , I think you got caught and it looks good on you ! :) And 40% of all internet traffic currently is DVD's being traded ? You guys are ratcheting up my bill ! I just went from being indifferent to your cause , to now being hostile to it.

You're costing me money !

There's only so much bandwidth to go around people.

There's No Fish Left ! I can't put the fish back ! What do you want me to do ? There's no fish !

No comments: