Friday, March 14, 2008

Phone Woes II

There's a dollar store where I work. they sell tonnes of junk, and some of it , is real *JUNK* . But there were these wooden boxes, perfect for stashing papers in , and they were only a buck for one of them. Bought it a while back , stuck all my phone papers and rent receipts in it.

My phone wont' charge, and I have fridays off of work (but I have to work saturday). Located the box, got the recipte for the phone , took it out and stuffed it in my pocket. Wasn't just the receipt, was teh whole contract and the girls business card who sold me the phone and everything. Got the damaged phone that won't charge , and hopped on a bus and went to St. Laurent where I bought the phone, not too far from home.

It's probably the charger, I told her. The head phones were working fine, I played tunes until teh battery died, and there's a sort of universal jack that the head phones and the power charger plug into. Figured if the head phoens worked it was likely the charger , probably nothing wrong with the jack.

They get another charger off the wall , apparently they have tonnes in stock. Try it out. No dice. Phone doesn't lite up. Oopsie...guess it is the handset after all.

They play on the computer , takes two of them one to tell the other what to do (he's just learning) and one to teach. Sounds like a labor of herculese just to put in a simple repair request and hook up a loaner phone.

Loaner phone is in the bedroom charging as we speak. 4 - 6 weeks before I get my real phone back.

Eh. I have an mp3 player that does a better job than the phone ever did. And 37$ + tax a month isn't that bad. When my real phone eventually bites the dust and insurance decides it doesn't like me anymore , I'll probably just go out and get the cheapest scuzziest phone I can find and put it on the line to replace it.

My advice ?

This adventure in expensive phones has done little but waste my time and money. You want an mp3 player ? go get one. Don't get a music phone. You want a PDA ? Get a stand alone pda , don't get a phone PDA. Blow the money bribing some high school student or craftsman to craft you a custom leather case to carry them both (or all) at once, rather than seek an all in one device. The all in one device only barely functions , just enough to say IT'S A MUSIC PHONE ! BUY ME BUY ME BUY ME YOU'LL LOVE IT !" No you wont.

like dealing with a shady business man , they technically fulfill the contract , but only in the most irritating and minimal manner possible.

No comments: