Friday, October 05, 2007

ory says MPPs will get free vote on faith-based funding

Article


Progressive Conservative Leader John Tory tried to assuage embittered party faithful and win back Ontario voters Monday as he promised caucus members a free vote on his controversial proposal to extend public funding to the province's private religious schools.



So what was it the conservitive leader said that started this "The thing I like about public school is that they're public"

Well, I went to public school for all my youth. My major memories were of bullies beating me up , because I was a smart ass, because I sometimes actually bothered to study , because I made them feel bad because I passed my courses, and they didn't so they were going to beat me up.

Actually , they did me a favor. Because I was so unpopular , the drug dealers who hung around on that one block walk from school to the bus stop never bothered me. I knew they were there , and I knew what they were about, but we had little to do with each other. They were "networking" and they wanted the popular students recruited so they could turn them around into sales men, and some little runt of a brainiac that everyone hated just wasn't any use to them.

so despite living through the 70's and 80's in a public school system rife with druggies, I never smoked a joint or popped a pill the whole time.

I keep hearing from friends and family. The public school system hasn't changed much. The school kids still punish you severely for actually bothering to study, and the druggies still consider it their personal hunting grounds.

It's time to face facts.
Point Blank : The public school system has failed. And it failed a long time ago. No one who has a choice in the matter wants to send their kids to school, because of the drug problem. A problem that has been around since my day , which makes it 30+ years , and hasn't gotten a witt better.

It's time to try out a more diversified system.
In the states they give a certain amount of money per child for education , and that money follows the kid to whatever school he goes to. Such a system would provide too many targets , each too small , for the drug dealers, and would get rid of the problem of bullies who punish you for actually studying while in school, since with a high teacher to student ratio those bullies can't make a move without every teacher knowing whats going on and giving him the boot.

Television is an evil thing you know.
Through out my child hood I lived in ottawa , and I spent more time watching TV than doing home work. Two years though , I lived in the country. No TV out there. Just a radio and not much to do but be bored. My marks went from 60ish % to 90% , just because there wasn't any TV to watch.

TV is an evil thing.
So are public schools , at least in the cities ( the one in the country I was at best luke warm on at the time , but from a parental perspective It would be considered a joy to send your kid there)

Go for the private stuff. The city public schools should be considered nothing but a plague ridden drug fest best avoided.

I know, most politicians would deny it if they read this article, probably point out to various mediocre and meaningless successes the public schools have had. But no one would beleive them. Why ? Because the vast majority of the public who grew up in Canada actually went to the public schools, And so the schools are a victem of their own lack of success. Every canadian graduate knows the true situation , and the politico's arn't doing much but making themselves look like idiots for denying it.

No comments: