Friday, August 10, 2007

Internet Phone, like it or not !

I have a phone from Samsung. An Sph m610 , plays nice tunes. Surfs the internet , even have some kind of online radio station thingy.

Surfing the internet costs me 7$ per month. And guess what ? Surfing on a phone with a 9 key keypad is a painful process. And the online radio is pay per use.

So I called up Bell , my phone provider here in Ottawa , and have them remove my 7$ / month internet fee and block the internet from my phone.

Can't do it. The browser opens with a single wrong click and then you're on the hook for the charges. And without the 7$ / month plan , they can rack up really high. Bell totally refuses to remove internet access. They'll remove the plan and put me on pay per use , which will kill me , but they won't block the internet.

Phoning the manufacturer of the phone itself was no help. The provider (in this case bell) must block the internet , the handset itself cannot do so without locking the keyboard or simply turning the phone off.

I have an internet phone ! Like it or not .
It's a scam. I don't dare remove the 7$ a month charge or next month I'll probably find a couple of hundred dollars on my bill just from accidently hitting the browser button.

The radio station is also a scam , because no where does it say it's pay per use. Though it take several selections to start listening to the radio so that's not so bad. It's not a one-key-now-you're-toast situation like the browser is.

And cancelling the service is a couple of hundred bucks. (It's a 349$ phone , I only paid $99 for it because I signed a 3 year contract, I gotta pay the rest of the price of the phone if I cancel early).

It's a scam. And I'm trapped. I'm gonna make dang sure I tell EVERYONE I meet about this rip off.

As for my useless phone internet ?

Pointed the phone at http://m.gmail.com , a mobile version of gmail , and I can now check my gmail online with the phone. Not exactly a priority , I'm a private individual I don't run a biziness .. but I'm getting at least some use out of it.

(edit)
Oh , and there's no chess game for this phone.
I bought it thinking I'd download a chess game , be happy to pay the 5$ or whatever it is ... no such thing for this model of phone. Lots of chess games for other models ... but not this one.

It' plays music. (bought a 1 gig expanded memory card, about 400 megs of songs in it)
It now checks my gmail.
It makes calls. (free evenings and weekends is the plan I signed up for).

Don't play chess.
Can't safely cancel the internet.

yeah , I feel robbed just a little bit. I'll put up with it because I like my tunes, but I still feel ripped just a little.

No comments: