Saturday, April 08, 2017

Google Filters

Article = none , personal experience

So , my girlfriend moved to a new place, I just got out of the hospital , and I had to go do blood tests once every two weeks, which meant I needed to find a new blood test place.

So I went to google. And it recommended dynacare.
But the only Dynacare place close to where I live was for students of Ottawa University only. So I tried other places on Google. No luck , they were all across town far far away.

That's strange. I saw a sign for blood testing just down the street near a pharmacy.
Tried to find it , and couldn't for the life of me. All I got were "prefered search results" and "advertising results" (now adays it's just a green box that says "Ad" , who knows what it will be next week)

So I gave up , and walked down the street to the pharmacy, and he said it's just around the corner , about 20 paces away.

Place is literally three blocks from home. But they don't do advertising , they don't show up on google search results because they don't pay google a shit ton of money (that they pass along to the consumer).

This brings up the phenomenon known as "search filtering" .
Search engines are not your friend. They're out to make money . Pay them and your search results show up (and you pass the costs onto the consumer in the form of higher prices) , or don't pay them and as far as the world is concerned you don't exist.

This renders using the internet to search for stores as USELESS !!!! I'm not looking for the high priced stuff. I'm looking for the cheap deals. And if they aint there on google, then I guess google is of no use to me.

No comments: