Saturday, August 10, 2013

State of the DisUnion these days

Article = None, personal experience.

And the City of Ottawa thinks my rooming house is illegal and so two people got kicked out, and I got to move to the main floor since living in the basement in a room the size of the average broom closet is apparently against Health and Saftey rules.

I don't mind the new digs , despite having to haul all my junk up the stairs alone (that's going to take days). But I talked to the other room mates and apparently a year ago this place got declared illegal and all the roomies were given a months notice and kicked out.

Kicked out. No emergancy housing, just you have a month to find other accomidations, thanks and good night.

I swear if I have to move again I'm abandoning most of my stuff and just getting a big duffle bag for a few changes of cloths. And maybe a bigger computer bag for my lap top. It doesnt' quite squeeze into the current lap top bag I have.

Bought a garbage can and 6$ got me 100 bags for it. Why am I mentioning this ? because I had to help clean up the room I was about to move in , and it was a disgusting stye.  Also ... my own room down in the basement was none too clean ... mostly I admit because I didn't have a garbage an (my fault) and going up those stairs to throw out a bag or two of garbage was just too much in my current state of health (not my fault).

In the news today ...

Lavabit , an encrypted mail service  , got raided by the US Government. They decided to shut down rather than give the guys in jack boots anythings. They also got hit by a hush order, making it illegal for them to say anything. But when you publically state "It is illegal for me to talk about the issue" , and you live inside the united states, it's pretty obvious the united states government is shutting you down.

More disturbing is Silent Text pre-emptively shutting down before the US Government can force them under. Disturbing because their servers are based in canada, not the USA , but they say Canada cooperates way too much with the USA so they're not taking any chances.

Hmm... thats not good to hear.

I went looking for a canadian based mail service. Found a big list, started down it. Ping the mail server, then use a location service ( http://www.iplocation.net/index.php )  to find out where in the world that address where the mail server is.   The five or so I checked were all inside the USA.  So much for trying to get to a mail server outside of the USA.
   I remember when I worked at rogers they actually were hosted on gmail servers, despite the rogers.ca address. And the competition  Bell , were hosted on hotmail servers specially rented for the purpose. Which was a pain since hotmail and gmail were constantly fighting and locking each other out and refusing to accept mail from each other at the time ...

I think we need to petition the Government of Canada to set up some free email servers here in Canada for canadian use. Because sending in the FBI to grab all the email and arrest anyone who doesn't cooperate ? I firmly believe Obama has lost his mind. I really do.

It's going to be interesting, the next two years. That being how long Obama has left to be President of the United States.

Unless they impeach him.

No comments: