Saturday, June 01, 2013

Internet at Home

Article = none, personal experience

Ok, it turns out my land lady doesn't have camera's everywhere spying on us through the internet. Apparently there was an outage a week or so ago , and I heard the other residence in the hall talking about how "a lot of people depend on that router for their internet".

Take that with her comment about how expensive internet is , and a quick peek at the rogers internet page shows it's 10$ / gigabyte for overages , and she was talking about how she was paying a lot of overages ... yeah she just doesn't want any new users on her modem. It's too expensive.

My phone has internet , they charge me 8$  / month for it. I phoned them up and they said it was a five gigabyte limit. (apparently "unlimited" internet is pretty limited). 

Yes , I'd tried my phone before at my old place, my brothers basement. I got cut off every five minutes. But here at my new place on the other side of town , or should I say NOT on the very edge of Ottawa where if you walk across the street to the shopping mall and try to go behind it you find nothing but trees for the next one hundred kilometers , reception is considerably improved. I can actually hold a steady connection and play for two hours at a time.

Installing World of Warcraft is 22 gigabytes , I had to bring my lap top over to a friends place and use their connection , but after I got it going , a week of fairly steady playing was only 240 megabytes , less than a quarter of one gigabyte.

Good enough.

Guess I'm online again.

No comments: