Sunday, June 15, 2008

Dell's Little Monster

Article = None , personal Experience

Started getting this annoying beeping noise on my winxp machine. This two tone beep , the same one you hear when you plug a usb device into the port and it detects it. The trouble was, there was nothing in the port, and it was happening while I was playing an online game. It would hang the controls...and so the bad guys would beat on me while my character just stood there like an idiot and took it.
You can bet I was pissed at that.
Call up Dell, since it's a dell computer, and find out a few interesting things.

  • Bought it March 18 2006 , so it's gone more than two years since it was reformatted (ie: this will be the first reformat).
  • Wait for the dell logo to start, then hit pause, then Control-F11 a few times to get to the hidden partition utilities to reformat the drive.
    Move the cable back to the orginal video card ..not the new one you just installed ...or you'll get a black screen a lot.


    Just gonna put those up there so I remember . :)

    So I reformat.
    And I remove Mcafee. Why ? Because it's a 90 day trial ,and then it wants money. And it locks down your computer and denies you internet access when the 90 days run out. And if you phone mcafee on how to remove it they want the equiviliant of a one year license to tell you how to get rid of it.
    And , this is the most amusing part of all, every ISP in canada is giving away an anti virus program for free. Plus Microsoft giving away it's Windows Defender Antivirus. Plus the AVG free antivirus ...
    Oh , and the stuff is impossible to remove without help if you aint a techie.
    I'm a techie. I consider it a challenge. A direct challenge of my Techiness that this program might beat me.
    The fact that it amounts to digital extortion also ticks me off. And Mcafee is a famous well thought of company too ! I'd switch to norton ,but they're the same.

    Or maybe it's dell. You go to msconfig utility and disable mcafee, reboot, and it all comes back ! Not allowed to turn it off ! Ho ho ho ! Look at that ! It gives the exact path and file name it's launching. go to that directory and rename the files so they can't be loaded.
    Ach ! They're protected ! The names won't change ! Well...there must be something protecting them. Go to task manager, find the tasks with the same names as the files, and terminate them. Then rename the files...then reboot ...
    And they're gone.
    Install my game. Start the update processs on that. Two hour up load.
    Go to work. Come back in 8 hours , and it's finished. Play my game.

    And that annoying double beep still pops up. ANd my game still pauses... letting the bad guys pound on me. And I'm swearing, and I'm still ticked.
    Windows updates. Service Pack three. Try it all. And the beeping occurs during that process as well, when the game isn't running , so I know it's not the game.

    Did I mess up the removal of Mcafee ? Did I take something out I shouldn't have ? The system logs show some kind of DCom error, not to mention a windows fax error , could that be whats buggging my system ?

    There's a mcafee removal tool available online.
    I'm gonna try it again, this time I'm gonna use the removal tool instead of doing it by hand.

    Man ..when did reformatting your computer become a several day saga ?

    No comments: