Sunday, July 24, 2005

8 Wasted Hours

Ottawa Boy

My Crohns Disease gave me an Abcess (look it up , it's desgusting). The solution was to attach a hose to this big golf ball sized lump in my stomach and let it drain into a bag for two weeks or so , then take the bag off when it stopped draining. Desgusting, but they gave me a doctors note for one week and I called work and got a weeks vacation for the following week , so I aint dragging that bag anywhere.

Home care worker comes in to deal with the "Drain" as they call it every day. Notices a piece on it is cracked and tends to leak some times. Oh we don't have that part. Turns out the home care worker has complete replacement parts for every piece of the drain. Except that one little piece. Tapes it up , orders me to the hospital. Well, it's saturday night, the wait time will be impossible, how about 6 am sun morning ? ok

Arrive at the hospital at 6am.
Actually get to see someone ( a nurse, not a doctor) at 11am. 5hours wasted sitting on an uncomfortable waiting room chair. Get put in a little examination room. Nurse comes in , looks over the tubing. Her response ? "We don't have that part. "
Yeah , I know. No one has that part. But you guys put it in !

Two hours later , a surgeon , two other nurses , and one "expert scavanger" nurse who apparently have been everywhere and seen everything drop by , look at and declare "I have no idea what that is. " to the part.

Eventually , around 2pm, they tape it up with water proof tape, nicely give me the roll of tape for my home care worker, and send me home with instructions to phone my doctor.

They dont' have that part. They have every other part for the drain, except that one.
8 hours in the hospital ... down the drain...


No comments: